The Lloyd Boys

Charles April Lloyd, Leonidas David Lloyd, Jr. and Lonnie Whitson Lloyd

Charles April Lloyd, Leonidas David Lloyd, Jr. and Lonnie Whitson Lloyd


Picture of Charles April Lloyd - Before and After


    Charles April "C.A." Lloyd was born April 1, 1926, in
Wake County, 18 miles east of Raleigh, North Carolina,
to Maggie Pearce Lloyd and Leonidas D. Lloyd. He enlist-
ed in the U.S. Navy September 15, 1944, and was sent to
Bainbridge, Maryland for 14 weeks of"boots." After a 12-
day leave, he volunteered for the USN Armed Guard Unit
upon the advice of his brother, Whitson, who served as an
Armed Guard from January of 1942 until May 5, 1945,
when he was killed in the torpedoing and sinking of the SS
BLACK POINT three miles off Port Judith, Rhode

    Charles attended Camp Shelton, Virginia Gunnery
School and was sent to the Brooklyn, New York Armed
Guard Center, 1st Avenue and 52nd Street. He went
aboard the SS MIAOULIS to England in convoy with food
provisions and over to Antwerp, Belgium in time for VE
Day. He returned to the States in June and to learn of his
brother Whitson's death, and after a 12-day emergency
leave, he was sent to Baltimore, Maryland, and joined the
crew of the USAT J.W. McAndrew. The McAndrew 
was in drydock for a bow replacement for damage
caused by ramming the French Carrier BERNE off the
Azores. After repairs were complete, he sailed to Newport
News, Virginia, to pick up provisions and 2,800 troops
waiting in Naples, Italy, for the Japan invasion. Thanks to
President Truman's orders, the Atomic Bombs were
dropped, saving millions of American and Allies lives, plus
the enemy. The MCANDREW was loaded with troops
and ready to sail when the news arrived. Orders for the
troops on board were changed and they returned to Newport
News. C.A. stayed aboard, and helped bring back two
more loads of troops before being removed and assigned to
the SS PHILLIP BARBOUR until guns were removed
from that ship.

    C.A. returned to the States and married Hilda Juanita
Perry, who had written to him every day while he was in
service. They have two daughters, Kaye L. Gattis and Car-
olyn L. Williams and three grandsons, Trent, Jason and
Brad. C.A. served as captain of the Raleigh Fire Depart-
ment for 23 years. He is a charter member of the
James B. Green Masonic Lodge #735 and also is a charter
member of the Amran Shrine Temple.

    According to C.A., his greatest achievements in life
were to serve his country in time of need, marry a wonderful
person, and rear two wonderful daughters who gave life
to three grandsons. He also said it was an honor to serve the
City of Raleigh and its people for 23 years and to serve the
USN Armed Guard WWII Veterans Association as chairman
in an endless task of locating other shipmates. He
recorded names and ships into a computer in order to
"match-up" shipmates, put together the "Pointer" and
mailed out information to over 6,900 of the original
144,970 who served in the Armed Guard. To the 1,810
Armed Guard who died in the line of duty and all men
from all branches of the service who served and those who
died, the Pointer is dedicated.

    C.A. now lives at 115 Wall Creek Drive, Rolesville, North
Carolina 27571.

Leonidas David Lloyd, Jr.

Leonidas David Lloyd, Jr.


    Leonidas David "L.D." Lloyd,Jr. was one of five brothers
serving in World War II. L.D., C.A., and Whitson Lloyd
were in the USN Armed Guard, Jack in the Merchant
Marines, and Codee in the Marines. Codee was an MP at
Treasure Island before and after World War II. He had
mostly gate duty, so he probably checked a lot of service-
men in and out during the war. A brother-in-law, Frank
Palma, from the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn, was on
the BB WISCONSIN for over four years. His sister, Vera
Palma, during this time, was a nurse at Carson C. Peck
Memorial Hospital as well as hostess to her brothers L.D.,
C.A., Whitson and Jack. Jack passed away before being
declared a military veteran of World War II, so he did not
receive any benefits or flag. He was thankful to be free and
lived a full enjoyable life. He was mess cook for A G to
Italy-Japan on the SS WILLIAM D. HOARD.

    After playing high school and sandlot baseball together,
L.D. and C.A. took boots together at Bainbridge, Mary-
land, gunnery school at Camp Shelton, Virginia, and went
together to Brooklyn Armed Guard Center. They asked for
the Armed Guard at boot camp at their brother Whitson's
request. They were assigned to the SS MIAOULIS, a
Greek Liberty Ship. While waiting for the ship to finish
loading, they took in the sights and sounds of New York
City. They also visited with their sister and dated some
Brooklyn beauties nearby. C.A., Whitson, Jack and L.D.
met at Vera's home, not knowing that this would be their
last get-together, as Whitson was to become the last
Armed Guard killed by a German sub in World War II on
May 5, 1945, in the sinking of his ship SS BLACK
POINT. The brothers learned of his death in 1983 from
Captain Art Moore's Book "A CARELESS WORD -- A
NEEDLESS SINKING" and verified by ship Captain
Chas Prior of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, then 82 years of age.
Captain Prior told Mary and L.D. that Whitson was
required to keep more records for the Armed Guard Center
than his ship company required. Whitson, BM 2/C, was
in charge of a five-man gun crew.

    L.D. and C.A. sailed out of New York in a large convoy
to Cardiff, Wales, through the cold North Atlantic. Depth
charges were dropped throughout the trip, keeping L.D.
awake while C.A. slept, a case of big brother trying to look
after little brother.

    Brothers Lawrence and Clyde Camp of Shelby, North
Carolina, also were in the aft focsle. The brothers drew a
Mason-Dixon line on the deck in their corner and told the
"Yankees" to keep out. The ship reloaded in Liverpool and
sailed up the English Channel among the hundreds of
masts, sterns and bows of sunken ships of the D-Day era
protruding above the waves. During the day, the sky was
darkened by thousands of Allied planes going to and from
missions over Germany. The MIAOULIS was rammed
while at anchor in a heavy fog, waiting to go by canal to
Ghent, Belgium. At first the crew thought they had been
hit by a buzz bomb. After Ghent, the ship sailed to Ant-
werp for repairs. Then VE day was announced and later the
MIAOULIS sailed back to New York and to the beautiful
statue of liberty. The brothers then learned that Whitson
was missing in action.

    After a short leave to North Carolina, the brothers were
assigned aboard the USAT JW MCANDREW in dry
dock at Baltimore, Maryland. Baltimore Street will always
remain in L.D.'s memory as unforgettable liberty. They
then sailed south to grit country, Newport News, Virginia,
since the MCANDREW was a troop ship, enough supplies
were taken to last to France and Italy to pick up troops for
the hot Pacific. L.D. was taken off the ship with a kidney
stone attack and sent to the hospital for 30 days. The ship's
orders were changed in the mid Atlantic from the Pacific
to Newport News. L.D. reboarded the ship later and went
back to France with troops. He and C.A. worked out of
nob unloading Navy gear ammo off a large number of
merchant ships for three months and got home often. C.A.
and L.D. then signed on different ships.

    C.A.'s ship went to Baltimore where the guns were
removed and he was sent on to South Carolina for dis-
charge. Meanwhile, L.D.'s ship, a tanker, the SS BLACK
HILLS, was making four round trips from South America
to Europe before anchoring near the Statue of Liberty for
30 days. If it wasn't for his sister in Brooklyn, L.D. said he
sure would have become tired of the ever present sight of
the Statue of Liberty. He was sent by first class pullman to
Camp Shelton for his separation, duck, check and ticket to
North Carolina.

    L.D. farmed during the summer of 1946 and met his
future wife, Mary Freeman, at Hardbarget Business Col-
lege in the fall classes. On December 22, 1946, L.D. and
Mary started "World War Three" and after 43, their pow-
der is still good.

    After business school, L.D. worked with Liggett Myers
as a sales representative and then was a Greyhound bus
driver for seven years. His last business venture is being a
State Farm Insurance Agent. He is still going strong after
over 32 years, with many more to go, God willing. Mary
and L.D. were blessed with a daughter, Dale Thigpen, and
a granddaughter, Kimberly Lloyd Thigpen. Dale's hus-
band, Bill, was killed in the Vietnam conflict. Dale is
working at Northern Telcom in Raleigh and Kim is a third
year student at Georgetown University in Washington,
D.C. The family does not discuss basketball as Dale and
Bill graduated from NCSU and Mary and L.D. are Wake
Forest fans. Enough said.

    Mary and L.D. have attended all the national reunions
and were co-hosts of the 2nd reunion in Wilmington,
North Carolina in 1983 and the 4th reunion in Norfolk,
Virginia, in 1985. They have missed only one NJ mini-
reunion in eight years and have attended mini-reunions in
San Diego and two Canadian reunions. They hope to be in
Reno, Chicago, aboard the SS JOHN W BROWN on
September 2, 1990. 1990 will be a busy year for Mary and
L.D. with a company millionaires trip to Rome as an add-
ed attraction. They live at 4832 North Hills Drive,
Raleigh, North Carolina 27612. Their phone number is
(919) 787-1527 and they have an "open house the year
around, so y'all come."




    Lonnie Whitson Lloyd, 656 20 68, BM 2/C, was born
in Franklin County, North Carolina, to Leonidas David
and Maggie Pearce Lloyd on November 26, 1918.

    Whitson volunteered for the U.S. Navy December 17,
1941, and was sworn in at Raleigh, North Carolina,
December 30, 1941. He was sent to the Naval Training
Center, Naval Operation Base, Norfolk, Virginia, and on
to Armed Guard School, Section Base, Little Creek, Vir-

    Upon completion of three weeks training on January
22, 1942, he was assigned to gun crew No. 131E and the
SS MORMACDALE to ports unknown until July 18,

 Whitson was appointed coxswain, October I, 1942,
while aboard the SS EXPOSITOR and this voyage took
them to Murmansk and Archangel, Russia. On the return
trip in Convoy ON-166 from Belfast, Northern Ireland to
New York, the SS EXPOSITOR was sunk February 22,
1943, in the North Atlantic when a torpedo struck the # 3
hold, causing the boilers to explode at 2131 GCT. The
ship was abandoned at 2140 GCT. The ship had a crew of
38 Merchant Seamen and 17 Armed Guard. Six Merchant
Seamen and three Armed Guard were killed. The 48 survi-
vors were rescued from three life rafts and one lifeboat, the
three other lifeboats were destroyed by the explosion. Two
of the survivors died later, one aboard the corvette, HMCS
TRILLUM, the other at St. Johns Newfoundland. Whit-
son was knocked unconscious and was pulled into the life-
boat by some of the crew. The HMCS TRILLUM was the
rescue ship and put them offin St. Johns on February 27,
1943, and they transferred to the States on the USS PON-

    After returning from rest camp at Pocono Manor Inn,
Pennsylvania, Whitson was assigned to the SS JOSEPH P.
BRADLEY on April 26, 1943. This was an ammo ship on
which he spent five months and three days at sea out of sev-
en and a half months, and 33,000 miles according to
Whitson's diary. They returned home December 12,
1943, at New Orleans, Louisiana, and delayed orders and
leave, and was assigned to the SS EUGENE HALE from
February 11, 1944, until November 9, 1944.

    On December 15, 1944, Whitson was assigned to the
SS BLACK POINT and was BM 2/C in charge of a five-
man gun crew. The SS BLACK POINT was a coal collier
on a coastal run from Boston to Galveston, Texas. On May
5, 1945, off of Point Judith, Rhode Island, and only three
days before VE Day, a torpedo hit the stern. The SS
BLACK POINT carried a crew of 41 Merchant Seamen
and five Armed Guard. Eleven Merchant seamen and one
Armed Guard, Whitson, were casualties.

    Note: This is a tribute to Lonnie Whitson Lloyd, BM
2/C Armed Guard and the eleven Merchant Seamen, by
Armed Guard brothers, C.A. Lloyd and L.D. Lloyd,
Raleigh, North Carolina.

Click to return to Home Page