Cecil W. Ray, RM 3/C, was born in Silver City, Iowa, March 7, 1924, and raised in Glenwood, Iowa. He served in the U.S. Navy from January 21, 1943, until February 18, 1946. He took boot training at Camp Farragut, Idaho, com- pleted his radio training there, and after six weeks of advanced communications school in Los Angeles, was assigned to the U.S. Navy Armed Guard, Treasure Island, California. During his tour of duty, Cecil served on four ships: two tankers, the SS MEACHAM and SS HADLEY; and two Liberty cargo ships, the SS JAMES LICK and the SSSAM- UEL K. BARLOW. His most eventful assignment was while on the BARLOW, which participated in the inva- sion of the Philippines at Leyte Island in October 1944, helping General Douglas MacArthur fulfill his famous "I shall return" pledge to the Filipino people. He also was in San Pedro Bay from October 24, 1944, to November 22, 1944. During this period, there were 50 major enemy air attacks on the area. However, the number seemed more like 105, counting all the nighttime nuisance raids made to keep the crews awake. The Armed Guard unit shot down two enemy planes making mast level attacks on the ship. One of the planes dropped a 200- pound bomb on the bridge. The bomb landed approxi- mately five feet from Cecil, but did not explode. The other of the two planes attempted a suicide dive on the ship, missed, and crashed only a few yards off the port bow. On five other occasions, the Armed Guard fired at enemy planes that were shot down. After separation from the Navy, Cecil married, returned to college, and in 1986 retired from the Hewlett-Packard Company after 22 years of service. He and his wife, Helen, currently reside at 616 North Maple Street, P.O. Box 1842, Woodland Park, Colorado 80866. Their four chil- dren and their families also reside in the Pikes Peak (Colo- rado Springs) area. DONALD HAYNES REIS

Donald Haynes Reis was born October 19, 1925, in Brooklyn, New York. He attended Brooklyn Prep and Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Virginia. He joined the U.S. Navy in April 1943, and attended boot camp at Newport, Rhode Island, and gunner school in Shelton, Virginia. He went aboard the SS GEORGE GERSHWIN August 1943 in Baltimore, Maryland, and celebrated his 18th birthday in the Mediterranean. The GERSHWIN hit various ports in North Africa, sailed through the Suez Canal and on to the Red Sea, later stopping at the Gulf of Oman, and unloaded cargo in Khorramshahr. The ship then sailed down the west coast of Africa, stopping at Mombasa, Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam, Beira, Durban and Cape Town. The GERSHWIN then crossed the South Atlantic alone en route to Bahia, and finally sailed home to Philadelphia. After a port directors leave, Donald went aboard the SS ANNE BRADSTREET and made an almost identical run. He also served aboard two other Liberty Ships, the ROBERT DALE OWEN and the HOWARD L. GIB- SON. Both sailed back into the Mediterranean. In 1945, he was sent back to Camp Shelton for a refresh- er course in gunnery, and was promoted to cox. He then was sent across country from the Brooklyn Armed Guard to Treasure Island, and shipped out aboard the APA USS BRAND. The atom bomb was dropped when his ship was halfway across the Pacific. He then ran a barracks in Tacloban in Leyte Gulf and was promoted to BM 2/C. When the Leyte Gulf base was closed, he was shipped to Samar in the Philippine Islands, then sent back to Treasure Island in February 1946, and sent to Long Beach, Long Island to be discharged in March 1946. Donald worked for the New York Times in 1946, the Long Island Star Journal 1947, the New York World Tele- gram & Sun 1948-1965, Saturday Evening Post 1966- 1968, Look Magazine 1969-1970, True Magazine 1971- 1972, and Psychology Today 1973-1983. He was presi- dent of his own company from 1984-1985 and worked for Golf Magazine in Los Angeles from 1986-1989, and is now retired. He and his wife Joan have been married 40 years. They have five children and six grandchildren and currently live at 6162 Via Nietos, Yorba Linda, California 92686. JOHN RHODES

John "Jack" Rhodes was born in Baltimore, Maryland, May 26, 1923. He enlisted December 30, 1941, went to boot camp at Great Lakes, and then was sent to Destroyer Base San Diego. He was assigned to the Armed Guard and shipped to Treasure Island. His first ship, the SS ALEXANDER HAMILTON in Portland, Oregon, was the seventh Liberty built by Kaiser. The HAMILTON sailed around the world to New York via New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Trinidad. The SS PAN MAINE, a tanker, was his second ship. The MAINE made two trips from Texas to Scotland across the North Atlantic in winter of 1942-43. His third ship, a Lib- erty built in Baltimore, was the SS JOHN WALKER. From February until August 1943, the WALKER made two trips to the Mediterranean, Algiers, Bizerte and Oran. He went to fleet gunnery school, Washington, DC, then was sent to the amphibious training base camp in Bradfort, Virginia. He was assigned to an amphibious group in Bos- ton for the French invasion, and sailed on the QUEEN ELIZABETH to Scotland in November 1943. He then was assigned to USS LCF 22, an English ship, reverse "Lend Lease." He was in the invasion of Normandy "Utah Beach." His ship was damaged while in France. He returned to the States, went to California for rocket training and was assigned to USS LCIR 770. He was in amlShibious operation in the Philippines, the invasion of Kerama Retto in late March and the Okinawa invasion in April 1945. He then went back to the Philippines for training for the invasion of Japan. At the end of the war, he was sent to Tientsin, China, and later back to the states for electrical hydraulic school in Washington, DC. He worked in the Provost Marshal Department at the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, and was assigned to the carrier VALLEY FORGE. He was dis- charged in December 1946. He married Helen L. while on leave on September 1944. They have four children, five grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Prior to his retirement in June 1985, he was employed as a field representative for Dennison Manu- facturing Co. of Framingham, Massachusetts. He now serves on the board of directors of the Project Liberty Ship JOHN W. BROWN in Baltimore. His current address is 3143 Cotter Road, Millers, Mary- land 21107. ARTHUR CLARENCE RIKARD

Arthur Clarence "Rick" Rikard was bom July 7, 1922, in Prattsville, New York, where he grew up on his father's farm. He entered the U.S. Navy August 26, 1944. Rick completed boot camp at Sampson, New York, and was then transferred to Armed Guard School at Norfolk, Vir- ginia. After Armed Guard School, he reported for duty at the Armed Guard Center, Treasure Island, California. During his time in the service, Rick also was posted to the fleet boat pool, Melville, Rhode Island, and the subma- rine base at New London, Connecticut. During these post- ings, he saw action as a gunners mate in both the Atlantic and the Pacific. Although Rick cannot recall the name of each ship on which he served, among them were the USS PROTEUS, the SS CAPE GEORGIA, and the SS COLUMBIA. While in the Atlantic, Rick made the Norfolk to Mur- mansk run. While in the Pacific, he was involved in several major landing operations, including Iwo Jima, Peleliu and Okinawa. As an Armed Guard, Rick's battle station was a 20mm anti-aircraft mount. Among his memorable experiences, Rick lists seeing flag no. 1 go up on IwoJima, surviving Japanese Kamika- ze attacks, and the spectacle of other ships taking hits and going to the bottom. He also recalls the clear, bright skies of the South Pacific and how he could hear the sound of U.S. and enemy planes fighting it out overhead long before he could see the telltale streak of fire and flame which marked a downed plane's long descent to the ocean below. Finally, he remembers the amazing detail of Tokyo Rose's reports, which the men listened to for entertainment off of Saipan. Rick was awarded the Victory Medal, the American Theater Medal, and the Asiatic-Pacific Medal with two stars. Rick was honorably discharged June 6, 1946. returned to Prattsville, New York, where he was involved for years in the construction industry, and also raised beef cattle. He is now retired from the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, and lives with his wife, Ruth, a retired nurse-teacher, at 315-A Johnson Hollow Road, Prattsville, New York 12468. They have three daughters, two sons, and fifteen grandchildren. DAVID F. RILEY

David F. Riley was born in Bell Plaine, Iowa April 8, 1925. His parents moved to Brighton, Iowa, where he was raised and attended school. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy February 11, 1943. He took his boot training at Farragut, Idaho, at Camp Wal- dron CO 96-43. After graduation and leave he was assigned to the Armed Guard Center at Treasure Island for gunnery training. One of David's ships was the SS RICHARD C. BREN- NAN, which sailed new out of Portland, Oregon going across the Pacific and the Indian Ocean, then through the Suez Canal, into the Mediterranean, and across the Atlan- tic to Philadelphia for an around the world cruise. David then went back overseas on the RICHARD C. BREN- NAN to Scotland and back again to New York. He again sailed across the Atlantic in bad weather dur- ing weather so cold the crew didn't figure that they would have any survival time in the water if they went over the side. David made one trip to Murmansk, and then was trans- ferred to the Armed Guard Center, Brooklyn, New York. After leave, he was transferred to the HMS KOTAIN- TEN, a Dutch transport and cargo ship. After loaading troops and cargo the ship sailed the Atlantic, through Pan- ama, to the South Pacific Islands for invasions. He then sailed back to San Francisco and on to the South Pacific. When he returned to San Francisco, he was transferred to Armed Guard Center, Treasure Island. He then was trans- ferred to the SS DOMINICAN VICTORY, and sailed to the South Pacific. David's most notable and memorable sea story occurred when he was returning to the states on the DOMINICAN VICTORY one night. It was cloudy and raining, visibility was zero. The ship was sailing about half speed. Then all of a sudden the ship shook, and the crew was thrown around like rubber balls. No one was seriously hurt. The ship then came to a sudden stop. The crew heard the screw going full astern. The VICTORY shook some more. W.C. Bowe and David went out on deck to see what had hap- pened. They could see the island and coral beach. The ship was aground. The captain sent a message the next morning and sea patrol 2D.E. and seaplanes responded. When the tide went out, the natives came to look at the ship. Some of them could speak English. The VICTCRY was stranded on the beach for about ten days. Two sea- going tugs came out and took the ship's anchors and dropped them astern. The VICTORY crew tried pulling the ship off the beach and lost both anchors. The tide started in, and with the two D.E. tugs going full ahead, suction was broken. The ship began to move and was freed, but had some large holes m its sides. The VICTORY was towed to Espiritu Santo for temporary repairs. The crew yelled and danced when the VICTORY was freed. It had been a sitting duck for the enemy. The Navy took two large plates from another ship and welded them on the VICTORY'S sides. Bowe and David watched them do the welding. Bowe said that he would like to be able to do a job like that someday. The ship was then escorted to the States at Tocoma Ship Yards. David was transferred to the SS JOHN P. ALT- GOLD, a Liberty converted to a tanker. The ALTGOLD hauled oil to the South Pacific, Hawaii, Aleutian Islands, Dutch harbor, and up and down the coast. Then the point system came into effect, David had enough points to be discharged, and was transferred to Great Lakes and discharged on January 16, 1946. David re-enlisted in the Navy August 13, 1947, and was trans- ferred to Treasure Island. After re-enlistment, he was on several ships and shore duty, including tours on the USS KERMIT ROOSEVELT A.R.G. 16, the USS JOHN W. THOMASON DD-760, shore duty at Naval Training Center, San Diego, California, the USS ONSLOW AVP 48, USS SEVERN A061, the USS COGSWELL DD- 6151, and Shore Duty at Mare Island Pacific Reserve Fleet. David retired April 16, 1964, GMG2. He then went to wurk at Meier Franks, Portland, Oregon for a time before moving onto work in the Tigard, Oregon School District. He retired April 25, 1980. During his time in the service, David earned the follow- ing medals: Good Conduct; American Campaign, one star; European-African Middle East, E clasp; Asiatic- Pacific A clasp one star; World War II Victory; China Ser- vice Extended; National Defense; United Nations; Korea Service, five stars; Korean Presidential Unit Citation, Arrmed Force Expedition, one bronze star; Vietnam Ser- vice, one star; World War II Navy Occupation and Navy Expeditionary; Vietnam Campaign with date bar; Ameri- can Defense; and Vietnam Gallantry Cross. David is married to Linda Riley. They have two sons, three daughters, one god-daughter, 18 grandchildren, and one great-grandson, and one grand god-daughter. David travels, goes fishing, and has several hobbies. His present address is 9622 S.E. Pardee, Portland, Oregon 97266, Phone (503) 760-6282. LOUIS V. RITTER

Louis V. Ritter was born April 4, 1924, and is originally From Brooklyn, New York. He attended boot camp at Great Lakes NTC, and gunnery school in Gulfport, Mis- sissippi. He also had training at the Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York, the Armed Guard Center in New Orleans, and attended pre-commissioning School in New- port, Rhode Island. Louis sailed on two Liberty Ships, the SS SAMUEL MOODY, the USS BOXER CV-21, and on the SS PAT- RICK HENRY. His most memorable experiences includ- ed night bombing while his ship was docked in London, England in 1943. An ammo barge blew up, causing his ship to rock back and forth in Leghorn, Italy. He also recalls scattering due to a submarine alert, breaking down at sea and being left behind the convoy. On one tour, a plane crashed on his carrier ship, the BOXER. He also saw a town destroyed in Italy in 1944. Awards he received were the Asiatic-Pacific, African- European-Middle Eastern, and American campaign Med- als, the Victory Medal, Navy Occupation Medal, China Service Medal, and Good Conduct Medal. He was dis- charged from the Navy February 19, 1946, but served 23 years in the Naval Reserves. Louis was a New York City Fireman for 33 years before retiring. His wife, Helen, passed away on August 23, 1989. He has eight children including two sets of twins, and 11 grandchildren. His current address is 28 Graham Place, Rockaway Point, New York 11697. GEORGE W. ROARK

George W. Roark was born in Oneida, Tennessee, Feb- ruary 22, 1924. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy July 29, 1942, and attended boot camp in Great Lakes, Illinois. After boot camp, he went to gunnery school, Chicago, Illi- nois. He was then attached to the Armed Guard Center, South Brooklyn, New York, October 15, 1942. His first ship assignment was the SS PAN MARY- LAND, sailing to the ports of Texas City, Texas; Liverpool and Manchester, England; Orange; Aruba; NWI; and then to New York. While in Liverpool, England, the first V-2 bomb attack took place. He was on board the ship PAN MARYLAND from October 1942 until January 1943. In New York, he was assigned to the SS CARIBBEAN, sailing to Curacao, NWI, and then to New York. Arriving back in New York, he was then assigned to the SS SACHEM, on which he sailed to Curacao, NWI; Avon- mouth, England; back to Curacao, and on to Avonmouth, and finally back to New York. His next assignment was aboard the SS EDWIN M. STANTON from December 1943 until February 1944, sailing to Oran, North Africa. He then was transferred to the Navy Hospital 231 at Oran. The SS BLACK HAWK was his next assignment from April 1944 until November 1944, sailing in the Mediter- ranean Sea, Naples, Sardinia, Corsica and Bizerte. While aboard the BLACK HAWK, he was involved in the inva- sion of Southern France. He was in Marseille from August 15 to September 25, 1944. He received the Bronze Star area ribbon, and then returned to the States. He was then assigned to Camp Shelton, Virginia, 5-inch 38 caliber Electric Hydraulic Gun School. He fin- ished schooling in February 1945. As a detached service ordnance officer for Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Inc., he worked for the Port Director, Baltimore, Maryland, and then was assigned to stay at Ft. McHenry Coast Guard Base, Baltimore, Maryland. George was next assigned to the SS HAGERSTOWN VICTORY at Baltimore, sailing to Mobile, Alabama, and from there to Odessa, Russia. The SS HAGERSTOWN VICTORY was traveling through the Straits of Gibralter when news was received that President Roosevelt had died. George was in Odessa for 19 days before VE Day. On the return trip, he stopped in Constanta, Romania, and Istan- bul, Turkey, and sailed for New York and to the Armed Guard Center, New Orleans. From New Orleans, he was attached to the SS E.R. KEMP, en route to Corpus Christi, Texas. He then went back to New Orleans, and on to San Diego, California, and then to the Great Lakes Hospital. George received an honorable discharge January 13, 1946, GM 2/C. He is married to Delores and they have four children, a son and three daughters. George is self-employed in retail gasoline at Roark's Amoco. His current address is P.O. Box 6 l, Oneida, Tennessee 37841. WILLIAM C. ROARK

William C. Roark, GM3, was born April 14, 1924. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy November 11, 1942, at Marlow, Oklahoma. He took basic training at Great Lakes Training Station, Illinois, then was sent to the Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York, January 22, 1943. He took three days gun training at Prices Neck, Rhode Island, from Jan- uary 29 to January 31, 1943. He went aboard the SS JOHN LANGDON February 3, 1943, and made six Atlantic crossings. While on the JOHN LANGDON, he was in a convoy headed for Mur- mansk. During a storm and fog, the JOHN LANGDON and two other ships were lost from the convoy. A SOS was received from a Liberty Ship one evening that it had been torpedoed and was sinking. The next morning, a SOS was received from a tanker astern of them that had been torpe- doed and was sinking as well. Some way the ship made it to Reykjavik, Iceland, and there the deck cargo, which was a wreck from the storm, was put in order and they sailed for Scotland. They missed the convoy for Murmansk and unloaded in Cardiff, South Wales. William left the JOHN LANGDON December 9, 1943. He served on the SS MARY LYON from January 13, 1944, to December 20, 1944. While on this ship, he was in the invasion of Southern France, August 5, 1944. He made six crossings on the MARY LYON, plus several trips to the Mediterranean. He was transferred to New Orleans Armed Guard Center February 25, 1945. He next was assigned to the PIO PICA March 19, 1945, in New Orleans, Louisiana. He then went to Mobile, Ala- bama, and Gulfport, Mississippi, loading cargo and on to the Panama Canal. He spent his 21st birthday April 14, 1945~ going through the canal, then sailed for Samar Island, Philippines. After discharging cargo there, he returned to San Francisco, California, arriving on VJ Day. From there, he went from station to station until he had enough points for discharge January 8, 1946. He moved to Artesia, New Mexico in 1948, where he met and married Mildred L. Cline, a registered nurse. They moved to Roswell, New Mexico, in 1952. They have four children: one daughter, Alice, and three sons, Charles (de- ceased at age 23 from cystic fibrosis), Clay and Curtis. They now have six grandchildren. He was a bricklayer for 4 l years and has been married to the same woman for almost 42 years. He is now retired. His current address is P.O. Box 1256, Rosewell, New Mexico 88201. JAMES F. ROBERTS

James F. "Jim" Roberts was born in Baltimore, Mary- land, December 22, 1923, and attended high school there prior to joining the U.S. Navy in January 1942. He received boot training at Norfolk and gunnery train- ing at Little Creek, Virginia, before being shipped to the Naval Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York. He sailed in his first convoy in June 1942, and subse- quently spent over three years serving on seven ships in six- teen convoys. His ship assignments included the SS GULF OF MEXICO, the SS EXAMINER, the SS OKLAHO- MA, the SS GEORGE T. ANGELL, the SS GEORGE M. COHAN, the SS WILLIAM H. JACKSON, and finally on ESSO tanker. The convoys took him to such exotic places as Casablan- ca, Sari, Oran, Gibraltar, Sicily, Naples, Omaha Beach, Marseille, Antwerp, Brussels, Murmansk, Cherbourg, LeHavre, England, Scotland, Wales, Nova Scotia, Aruba, and Curaco, with all expenses paid and, let's not forget, the astronomical starting salary of $21 per month. In May 1945, he was helping transport 1,000 German prisoners to New York from LeHavre on board the SS WM.JACKSON when news was received of the Nazi sur- render. The ship was ordered to return to Cherbourg and release the prisoners. After returning to the States, Jim requested a transfer to PT duty in the Pacific. While en route, Japan surrendered and he was eventually discharged January 6, 1946, as GM 2/C. Unable to adjust to the boring life of a civilian, he re- enlisted 20 days later and was shipped to Shanghai by way of Newport, Rhode Island, and Treasure Island, Califor- nia. He was assigned to the USS JASON, (ARH-1) flag- ship, for the 3rd Service Force in the Orient. The USS JASON, with a ship's complement of 1,000 men, was a heavy repair auxiliary to carriers, cruisers and battleships and sailed between Guam, Yorkouska, Tokyo, Tsingtao, and Shanghai for 13 months before returning to its home port of Long Beach, California. Jim was once again discharged in San Pedro, California in November 1947. After several odd-ball jobs, including crap and blackjack dealing, he went into the sales field and eventual management for a national corporation. For the last 19 years, he managed subsidiaries in Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Jim is the father of three children, Steve, Dennis and Cookie, and has five grandchildren. He has spent his free time for 23 years coaching youth league and high school wrestling teams and continues to officiate at high school wrestling matches. He now lives at 732 Ticonderoga Avenue, Severna Park, Maryland 21146. JOHN N. ROONEY

John N. Rooney was born October 26, 1923, and is from Waltham, Massachusetts. He attended St. Joseph Grammar School and St. Mary's High School. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy January 9, 1943, and was trained in Newport, Rhode Island; Little Creek, Virginia; and Brookiyn, New York. John sailed on the USAT BORINQUEN, a ship that landed troops on D Day, June 6, 1944. He recalls this as one of his most memorable experiences in the service. He also met some of his friends from home while on overseas duty. John also sailed aboard the SS JIBASAR. John received the D Day Medal, Good Conduct Medal, American Theatre Campaign Medal, and North African Campaign Medal. He was discharged from the Navy Jan- uary 20, 1946. He was a member of the Waltham Fire Department and attended Massachusetts Bay Community College. He retired from the fire department after 35 years of service. He is married to the former Aileen Logue, and has one son and two daughters. The son of Joseph and Julie Rooney, he is currently employed by Stop and Shop Inc. His current address is 60 Mountain Road, Waltham, Massachusetts 02154. CECIL V. ROYBAL

Cecil V. Roybal enlisted in the U.S. Navy May 12, 1942. He attended boot camp and gunnery school in San Diego. After boot camp, he was assigned to two tankers sailing to Oregon and Vancouver, British Columbia. Cecil was then assigned to the liberty ship the SS ALEXANDER G. BELL from 1942 to 1943. This ship was involved in the invasion of North Africa, returning through South Africa, Brazil, Quantanamo, Bay of Cuba, and back to New York. Following a short vacation, Cecil was stationed in Ter- minal Island, San Pedro, California. Once again, he was assigned to a Liberty Ship, the SS AMOS G. THROOP from 1943 to 1944. They sailed to Pearl Harbor, the Phil- ippines, Eniwotah, and numerous other islands and arrived at Guam and the Admiralty and Marshall Islands. He then reported to Treasure Island, San Francisco, California, in 1945. Cecil was assigned to another Liberty Ship, the SS JEDEDIAH SMITH. They sailed again to the South Pacific, and from there to Africa, India, Brazil, Cuba, and then back to New York. After a short vacation, he was assigned to another ship called the SS CHARLES PADDOCK. They sailed to the Pacific Theatre. It was during this trip that the war came to an end. Cecil was discharged at Terminal Island, San Pedro November 2, 1945. After discharge, he attended barber school and was a barber for over 40 years. After retiring as a barber, Cecil worked for the county of Los Angeles until retirement again in 1988. He was wed in June 1951 to Pauline. They have one son and two grandsons. Cecil now lives in Santa Fe Springs, California. ROBERT O. RUSSELL

Robert O. Russell was born September 28, 1922, in Chicago, Illinois. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy in January 1942 and attended boot camp at Great Lakes, Illinois, and volunteered for the Armed Guard and took gunnery train- ing at the Armed Guard Center in Chicago. Russell served aboard a firing ship, the USS WIL- METRE (the OLD EASTLAND). He also served aboard the CAPETOWN, the SS VIRGINIA DARE, the SS CHARLES FINGER, the SS ALCOA PATRIOT and the USAT HENRY T. GIBBONS. Russell and his crew were awarded the "The Gallant Ship Citation Ribbon Bar" and also "The Gallant Ship Certificate" while serving on the SS VIRGINIA DARE for their outstanding performance in actions against the enemy en route to and in the North Russian Port of Murmansk. The VIRGINIA DARE was under constant attack for 17 days and was carrying high explosives. The gun crew repelled many aerial and subma- rine attacks. His most memorable experience was when they were under attack by JU-88s while in the Mediterranean Sea However, there were many memorable experiences throughout his duty as an Armed Guard. He received the American, Asiatic-Pacific, European-African-Middle Eastern and the World War II National Defense awards He was discharged from the Navy November l, 1945, a Seaman 1/C. Robert lives with his wife, Mary O'Brien, and has two daughters, Mary Eileen and Donna Jean; and three sons, Robert A., Patrick M., and Dennis j. Thomas. Robert and Patrick were also in the service. His current address is 1009 Madisons Street, Oakpark, Illinois 60302. CLARENCE LLOYD RUTHERFORD

Clarence was born April 3, 1925, son of Charles and Elizabeth Rutherford, in Newton Hamilton, Pennsylva- nia. He enlisted in the Navy June 4, 1943. He attended boot camp at the NTS in Great Lakes, Illinois. During his active duty he was processed through the Armed Guard Centers at Little Creek, Virginia; Brooklyn, New York, and Treasure Island, California. He also attended Armed Guard school in Norfolk, Virginia. From March 6 to June 6, 1944, Clarence's ship, the JOYCE KILMER, was in the convoy that was attacked by submarines on the run to Archangel, Russia. One ship was lost on the return trip. The rumor was that the ship that was sunk was the SS JAMES THAYER. The submarine attacks on the convoy to Archangel, as weIl as the fact that the MULHOLLAND was the first ship to enter the harbor at Cherbourg, France and tie-up at the seawall, are among his most memorable experiences of the war. Clarence also served aboard the WILLIAM MUL- HODLLAND from June 1944 until he was sent to the South Pacific on the Island of Samar in the Phillippines. He spent 3 months there running a forklift in the supply depot. Clarence was awarded the American Area, European, African, and Middle-Eastern and the Asiatic-Pacific Area medals. After being discharged on December 17, 1945, Clar- ence worked as a construction grease truck operator and construction mechanic. He is married to the former Jeanne Palmer. Clarence currently resides at 1853 Dixie Lane, Altoona, Pennsylvania 16602.

Click to return to index page

Click to return to main page