Raymond N. Cadoret was born to Leopold and Berna- dette Cadoret in Providence, Rhode Island, December 30, 1918. He attended schools in the city of Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and enlisted in the Naval Reserves July 16, 1942, at Providence, Rhode Island. He took six weeks of boot training at the Newport Naval Training Station at Newport, Rhode Island, and lat- er was sent to Little Creek, Virginia, for three weeks of gun- nery training. He was then transferred to the Naval Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York. Raymond's first ship assignment was the tanker SS GULF MARACAIBO, which was converted to a PT boat carrier. The MARACAIBO made stops in Aruba; Pana- ma; New Caledonia; Sydney, Australia; and New York. After coming off a 15-day leave, Raymond was assigned to the Liberty Ship SS CHARLES M. SCHWAB, which had on board Mark 29 anti-torpedo gear, consisting of a detec- tor and TNT streamer. The incoming torpedo was sup- posed to be detected and set off the TNT, which would then blow up the torpedo. Raymond says the crew's big thrill came when the SCHWAB had to break out of convoy in the North Atlan- tic because the deck cargo was shifting. There they were among the ice floes and fog for almost a week, when one day there was an explosion that shook the ship from stem to stern. Word went out to stand by to abandon ship. The crew stood for almost an hour waiting for the ship to go down, then it was theorized that one of the TNT streamers went off so the whole Mark 29 apparatus was deep sixed. The ship then made stops in Cardiff, Wales; Southamp- ton, England; and London. He was married to Helen M. Quinn December 18, 1943, before leaving the Armed Guard. After a 15-day leave, he was transferred to the amphibious service and served on the LST 53 during the invasion of Normandy and southern France. He was again transferred to the LSM (R) 524, before receiving an honorable discharge October 2, 1945, with a rating of GM 2/C. Raymond lives with his wife of 46 years at 48 Coyle Avenue, Rumford, Rhode Island 02916. LAURENCE B. CALDWELL

Laurence B. Caldwell was born March 2, 1924, in Der- ry, New Hampshire. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy in June 1942. He took boot and gunnery school training at New- port, Rhode Island, and Little Creek, Virginia. After gun- nery school, he was sent to the Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York, for assignment. Destroyer bunks for sleeping were located in the main hall, along with a mess hall and gun crew assignment stations. His first ship was the SS Gulf MARACAIBO, which sailed from Chester, Pennsylvania, in June 1942 on a shake down cruise to Texas for crude oil. The MARACAIBO returned to New York to be fitted with PT boats for the Pacific, then traveled to Aruba, and through the Panama Canal, crossing the equator at Longitude 86 degrees, 55 W. on December 12, 1942, where he was initiated into the Solemn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of the Deep. After passing through a typhoon, the ship arrived at New Cale- donia to unload the #8 PT Squadron before traveling to Sydney, Australia, and back to the east coast of the U.S. Laurence's next ship was the SS WINIFRED SMITH, which carried ammunition and U.S. Rangers to North Africa. En route from Casablanca to Bizerte, hugging the coastline, air raids by Stuka dive bombers were a constant threat. After unloading invasion materials for Sicily, the ship was loaded with German POWs and returned to the States where Laurence was admitted to St. Albans Naval Hospital for treatment of injuries sustained during bombings at Bizerte. After recovering, he was assigned to the SS SAM DE CHAMPLAIN. The ship returned to the Mediterra- nean to Gibraltar, Sicily and Naples to deliver guns and ammunition for the troops at Anzio. His next ship was the SS ANDREW A. HUMPH- RIES, which made two trips to England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, delivering landing craft for the invasion of Europe. Laurence's final assignment was on the SS SEA QUAIL in January 1945, which sailed to LeHavre, France and Southampton, England. After returning to New York, the ship sailed to Seattle, via San Juan, Puerto Rico, the Canal Zone and San Francisco, then to Honolulu, Eniwetok, Ulithi and Okinawa to deliver Marines to the islands of I.E. Shima. Heavy fighting was occurring in the area with repeated kamikaze attacks. Several enemy planes were destroyed by the SEA QUAIL gun crew. After returning to San Francisco, the ship departed for Marseilles to deploy troops to Hollandia. Because of VE Day, the troops were redeployed to Leyte in the Philip- pines. The ship then sailed to Yokosuka, Japan, with a battalion of Sea Bees before returning to Seattle in Novem- ber 1945. Laurence was discharged at Bainbridge, Maryland, December 12, 1945. He later served in the Naval Reserves from 1947 to 1952. He received a commendation from the Armed Guard Commanding Officer of the SS WINFRED L. SMITH for shooting down two enemy aircraft in the Mediterranean on June 20, 1943. He was awarded the European-African- Middle Eastern Medal with Bronze Stars, the Asiatic- Pacific Medal with Bronze Stars, and the American World War II Victory and Good Conduct medals. He took advantage of the Gl bill and received a BS degree in physics and worked at the Research Department of Bethlehem Steel for 34 years before retiring. He now spends his time as a consultant on metallic coated steel projects throughout the world. He married Shirley Grundstrom December 22, 1945. They have a son, Craig, a daughter, Lynn, and five grand- children. He and Shirley live at 257 Apollo Drive, Bethle- hem, Pennsylvania 18017. JOHN N. CAMPBELL, JR.

John N. Campbell Jr. was born November 3, 1924, in West Monroe, Louisiana. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy May 15, 1942, and after boot training was sent to the Armed Guard Center at Little Creek, Virginia, gun crew #567, from June 27, 1942, to July 23, 1942. He attended Naval mine warfare school from Novem- ber 5, 1943, to November 20, 1943, where he was a mem- ber of gun crew #4541 from March 23, 1945, to April 20, 1945. He attended air crewman school in San Diego, Cali- fornia, FAW14 from November 17, 1950 to June 14, 1951, and was sent to Great Lakes, Illinois, Co. 374, from May l7, 1942 to June 26, 1942. John participated in the invasions of France June 1, 1944, and Okinawa, April 1945. His most memorable experience was meeting the people of St. Malo, France, after they were liberated by the Free French Army, as well as going to Calcutta, India, Alexandria and Cairo, Egypt, the Panama Canal and most of the islands in the South Pacific. During the war, he served on seven ships: the SS CALU- SA, June 1942 to April 1942; the SS WILLIAM G. FAR- GO, April 1943 to October 1943; the SS DUNCAN U. FLETCHER, April 1944 to January 1945; the SS SUN- SET HILLS, April 1945 to May 1945; the SS JOHN M. CLAYTON, a portion of June 1945; the SS WILLIAM HARPER, June 1945 to November 1945; and the SS FAIR ISLE, November 1945 to December 1945. He also served during the Korean police action, November 8, 1950, to March 9, 1952, on Fleet Air Wing 14, Patrol Squadron VP 47, VP829 Fasron 10. John received the World War II Victory Medal, the American Area Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, the American Defense Campaign Med- al, and is a member of the Royal Order of Neptune. He was discharged December 17, 1945, with the rank of GM3, and worked as an automotive merchandiser for Montgomery Ward and Company. Now retired, he and his wife, Bettie, have four children, nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren and live at 351 Winsome Place, Encinitas, California 92024. FRANK CAPOBIANCO

Frank Capobianco was born in Chicago, Illinois, June 20, 1924, to Rose and John Capobianco. He entered the U.S. Navy in April 1943 at Great Lakes, Illinois, Co. 475, Camp Moffet. Frank Capobianco He attended gunnery school in Gulf Port, Mississippi, then was sent to Algiers, Louisiana. He was assigned to the SS ALBERT GALLATIN in Mobile, Alabama, and served on the ship until it was sunk January 2, 1944. The GAL- LATIN's crew was rescued by the MS BRITANICA, a Norwegian tanker with a torpedo hole in her side. Later, Frank was transferred to the LST 14 in Aden, Arabia, then sailed to Port Said, Egypt. He boarded the SS SANTA MARGARITA for New York and upon reaching New Orleans was assigned to the MV JUPITER INLET, an 180-foot sea going tug. The JUPITER INLET sailed to Galveston, where it picked up a concrete barge and sailed through the Panama Canal and on to Hawaii. The ship returned to Panama, picked up one section of a 10-section dry dock and one yard mine sweeper destined for the Admiralty Islands. On the way, the ship ran into a 120-mile hurricane and had to go into Mexico for repairs. The ship then got as far as the Marshall Islands and broke down. Frank returned to the States and received a 30-day leave, during which he married Frances Koks before returning to New Orleans. He was then assigned to the ALEXANDER R. SHEP- HARD in Savannah, Georgia, which sailed for Liverpool, England. On the trip, a German submarine was sunk. They then sailed to St. Johns and Botwood, Newfound- land. Returning to St. Johns from Botwood, the ship ran into Duck Island in the fog and the crew had to jettison the forward cargo hold to free the ship. Twenty-four hours lat- er, they proceeded to St. Johns, Halifax, Canada, then on to Houston, Texas, for repairs. After returning to New Orleans, Frank was assigned to the SS CHRISTOPHER S. FLANAGAN in Mobile, Ala- bama. The ship was loaded for the invasion of Japan, then made way to Manila in the Philippine Islands. The war ended, the ship was unloaded and converted into a troop carrier. Frank returned to Long Beach, California, and was sent home for discharge from the Naval Armory in Chicago, Illinois,January 6, 1946, with the rank of Signalman 2/C. He was awarded medals for the American, European- Middle Eastern and Pacific campaigns. He also received the Purple Heart and Victory Medal. He later received the National Defense award for Korean service. He is now retired. Frank's mailing address is 810 North Lombard, Elm- hurst, Illinois 60126. JOHN W. CARMODY

John W. Carmody was born April 26, 1924, in Shobo- nier, Illinois, to Leo and Sena Carmody. He moved to Rock Springs, Arkansas, at age four, grew up and attended school there. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy June 23, 1943, at age 19. John attended boot camp in San Diego, California, requested Armed Guard Service and attended gunnery school at Destroyer Base, San Diego. He then shipped to Treasure Island and was assigned to the SS WILLIAM SHARON, a new Liberty ship. His first trip aboard the SHARON involved transport of a full load of tomato juice and crushed pineapple to Esprito Santo, New Hebrides Islands. The SHARON then returned to San Francisco to pick up C Rations and general food stuff for the Army. The ship left the States again January 8, for New Guinea and the shuttle run to and from Australia. While delivering aviation gas in 55 gallon barrels to the Little Port of Saidor, New Guinea, the ship was visited at 10 p.m., 2 a.m., and 4 a.m. by the Japanese bomber "Washing Machine Charlie" for nine days. The Army on the beach fired at "Charlie" to no avail. The ship's gun crew wasn't allowed to shoot for fear of disclosing the ves- sel's position. There was only room for two ships in the har- bor. "Charlie" hit the Army bivouac area a couple times, killing several men, then finally hit the fuel dump. When John got to his gun, the barrels of exploding gas made it sound like the area was being shelled by a battle ship. Another time in the vicinity of the Admiralty Islands while in a small convoy, a Japanese submarine popped up alongside John's ship and the escort, a sub chase, laid a string of depth charges right down the middle of the sub- marine. It sank before the crew could fire a shot. On September 17, John's ship left Brisbane, Australia, for the Port Chicago ammo dump with a load of old ammo and torpedo warheads. Unknown to the crew, Port Chica- go blew up the day the ship got underway from Australia. John's ship put into San Francisco and was rerouted to Prince Rupert, British Columbia, to unload. While there, GM 3/C Vince Murphy and John joined some Army per- sonnel for a day of fishing on the Skeena River for silver salmon. They shared one pole and landed three 15-pound salmon. John's been hooked on the sport ever since. The crew then returned to Seattle September 13 and a 30-day leave was given to all hands. John returned to Trea- sure Island and attended 5-inch 38 gun school. After grad- uation, he shipped to Seattle to join the gun crew aboard the SS SACAJAWEA and the Aleutian Island Shuttle. After having spent so much time in the South Pacific, John said he almost froze. The ship left Seattle December 24, 1944, for Dutch Harbor, then sailed back to Seattle and to Attu in the Aleu- tian Chain. It was so cold, lookouts could only stay out for one hour before relief was required. Having completed four trips to the Aleutians, the ship took a load of troops to Tacloban in the Philippine Islands. He returned to Seattle and while in port got married. Then his ship left for Okinawa. They made it as far as the Mar- shall Islands and the war was over. The SACAJAWEA turned around and headed back. The crew broke out all the ammo and burned it up shooting smoke pots and balloons. After returning to Seattle, John left the ship and caught the carrier USS SAIDOR for Treasure Island and a 30-day leave. He then reported to Naval Air Station, New Orle- ans, Louisiana, and received an honorable discharge November 26, 1945. John again returned to Seattle and was employed by the U.S. Navy as an ordnance man cleaning and preserving 20 mm machine guns for storage, then as a machinist in small craft mothball fleet until 1954. He was then a truck driver until 1974, and next a pipefitter until 1987, when he retired. He and his wife reside at 28150 Lindvog Road N.E., Kingston, Washington 98346. They have four sons and two daughters, one grandson and four granddaughters. In his retirement he is enjoying gardening, hunting, and fish- ing on beautiful Puget Sound. THOMAS ELI CARTER

Tom Eli Carter enlisted in Merced, California, Novem- ber 17, 1943. He arrived in Farragut, Idaho, on Thanks- giving Day and requested that he be allowed to "burn powder." He subsequently was assigned to the Armed Guard and during training met Ruthanne Hagan of Coeur d'Alene. From Farragut, he was sent to San Diego Destroyer Base for gunnery training, then to Treasure Island for assign- ment. He shipped out on the USAT PRESIDENT FIL- MORE and was involved in landings on Atku and Kiska in 1943. The ship left Kiska, returned troops to Hawaii, then went back to Seattle. Tom then caught the FRANK C. EMERSON out of Treasure Island and went around the world by way of New Guinea, Australia, the Suez Canal, and Bari, Italy, arriving in New York June 1944 with a GM 3/C rating. After returning to Treasure Island, he was assigned to the WIL- liam S. Ladd and proceeded to the Philippines. The LADD came under attack December 3, 1944, off the coast of the Philippines. On December 10, 1944, at 1700 hours, the LADD was hit by a kamikaze while riding the hook off the beach at Leyte Gulf and sank by the stern. Tom shipped back to Treasure Island for a 30-day survi- vor's leave and spent time with Ruthanne in CDA. She had faithfully written to him since boot camp and they were engaged. He caught the MORMACSEA February 1945 and sailed again for the Philippines, where he docked at Manila. After returning home, he talked his CO into three 72-hour passes and again went to CDA where he was when the war with Japan ended. Upon returning to his ship, he was sent to Point Montara as an instructor on a twin 538 until he could be mustered out at Camp Shoemaker, December 17, 1945. Tom and Ruthanne were married July 20, 1946, and have raised two daughters, Becky and Chris. He is retired from the Merced Irrigation District after 38 years as a heavy equipment operator. He is spending his retirement on a two-acre walnut ranch, and also enjoys traveling and his hobby as a ham operator with a general license. He has a perfect call sign, KA6HAM. His address is 3270 North Bert Crane Road, Atwater, California 95302. LELAND R. CASE

Leland R. Case enlisted in the U.S. Navy December 15, 1942, and went to boot camp at the U.S. Naval Training Center, Bainbridge, Maryland, Company 248, Barracks 218, February 6, 1943: He then took gunnery training at Little Creek, Virginia. After gunnery training, Leland was assigned to the Armed Guard Center at Brooklyn, New York. He served on the SS STEPHEN F. AUSTIN from May 10, 1943, until December 9, 1943. While on board the AUSTIN, he traveled through the Panama Canal, to Australia, Iran and Brazil. He then returned to Mobile, Alabama and trans- ferred to the Armed Guard Center at New Orleans, Louisi- ana. After leave, he served on the SS JOHN EINING from January 17, 1944, until February 19, 1945, out of Jack- sonville, Florida. While on the ship, he went back through the Panama Canal to New Zealand and made stops in New Caledonia, Hawaii, Kwajalein, Enewetok, Saipan, Tinian and Guam. Leland was then transferred to the Armed Guard Center at Treasure Island, California, and took training in 5-inch 38 gun maintenance. He served on the SS CLARK VIC- TORY from May 1945 until April 7, 1946. While on the VICTORY, he traveled to Guam, Ulithe and Okinawa. Coming out of Okinawa in September 1946, he was in a typhoon, and he was in Ulithe waiting for the invasion of Japan when the "A" bomb was dropped and the war end- ed. He received an honorable discharge from Bainbridge, Maryland on April 17, 1946. Leland's current address is 35 Central Avenue, Ravena, New York 12143. FRANCIS WILLIAM CASSIDY

These reminders of Francis William Cassidy were furnished to me by his friend Jay Larson. Francis William Cassidy was Born November 3, 1920 in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. He Died May 2, 1994 in Olympia, Washington, and is buried in Hoquiam, Washington. Francis Cassidy attained the rank of at least BM2/C. He served on the S.S. Sinclair Rubilene and would have had to have been on at least two other merchant marine ships, names unknown, possibly more. He was married and had three sons and one daughter. ODIS E. CHANCELLOR

Odis E. Chancellor enlisted in the U.S. Navy December 8, 1941, and received his boot training in Balboa Park. He then went on to signal school at Treasure Island. Odis was with Bill White SM 3/c and a radioman aboard the SS JOSEPH LYKES in February 1942. His second ship, the USAT URUGUAY, took the first troops to Auckland and on November 8, 1942, landed the First Division on Oran. In January 1943, Odis joined the crew of the Liberty Ship SS JOHN WISE at Treasure Island. They sailed to ports including Hawaii, New Hebrides, Pictcari Island, Ecuador and Cuba. In 1943, Odis and co-signalman Ken- neth Kennedy S 1/c (SM) parted company and did not see each other until October 1989, at the Reno Armed Guard Reunion. On his next assignment, Odis sailed aboard the SS C.A. CANFIELD to Caribbean ports. Then he joined the crew of the SS HENRY S. SANFORD and the SS WILLIAM ASA CARTER, which called at many Atlantic ports. Odis was discharged Halloween 1945. He reenlisted in 1947, attended Electronics Technician's School and grad- uated ET2 with orders to Atlantic Amphibian Forces aboard the USS POCONO, AGC 16, the USS E-LSM 446 and the USS ARNEB, AKA 56. Odis was in Albuquerque during the Korean war. There he met Rosemary Ellis and they were married. Back in San Diego, Odis served aboard the USS HAN- COCK, CVA 19 and the USS HORNET, CVA 12. After four years shore duty at Great Lakes, he returned to San Diego and the USS GURKE, DD783, the USS HAN- SON, DDR 832 and the USS BUCHANAN DDG14. Odis retired from the Navy in 1963 and in 1976 he retired from U.S. Civil Service. He taught electronics for several years then retired fully and still lives in the same San Diego home he and his wife bought in 1961. His son,John and daughter, Mary Ann and grandson, Anthony Joseph, also reside in San Diego. Odis' current address is 6635 Renkrib Avenue, San Diego, California 92119. ARTHUR E. CHAPMAN

Arthur E. Chapman was born September 27, 1923, and is from Monroe, Michigan. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy December 30, 1942, and trained in Great Lakes, Illinois, and Gulfport, Mississippi. He sailed on the SS SANTA BARBARA, the SS CUN- NINGHAN and the SS POINT PLEASANT. Awards he received were the American Campaign and Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medals, World War II Victory Medal and the Europe-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal. Chapman was discharged from the Navy November 15, 1945. He is a retired carpenter and lives with his wife, Betty, and has three daughters and one son. His current address is 1311 John L. Drive, Monroe, Michigan 48161. MONROE W. CHAPMAN

Monroe W. Chapman was born to Monroe L. and Nellie Chapman October 2, 1924, in Akron, New York. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy December 11, 1942, and trained at Sampson. He was then sent to gunnery school at Little Creek, Virginia, and then to Armed Guard Center, Brook- lyn. His first assignment was to the gun crew of the SS JOHN CHANDLER (Hull #215), an American Export Lines ship, for launching at Portland, Maine. The CHAN- DLER had a crew of 30 and Armed Guard contingent of 18. The CHANDLER took a shakedown cruise, solo, from Portland, Maine to Boston, Massachusetts, then loaded with wheat and sailed in convoy to Halifax, Nova Scotia, then to Lock Ewe, Scotland, and on to Hull, England, where rocks were loaded for ballast for the return trip. The CHANDLER loaded ammunition at Long Island, New York, and sailed toward Iceland in a 110 ship con- voy. The ship passed through Newfoundland fog banks for four days and the crew hardly saw another ship during that time. The CHANDLER hit a bad storm in the North Atlantic and lost the convoy for four days. Waves took one of the ship's boats. The CHANDLER soon rejoined the convoy at its position at coffin corner, finally reaching Bel- fast, Ireland. The ship then sailed with two other merchant ships and went through the Irish Sea to Milford Haven, Wales, then to Southampton, England. Monroe saw two German planes shot down entering port. That night from our dock (Queen Elizabeth dock) Monroe watched seven more German bombers shot down and crashed on raid. After returning to New York we loaded U.S. Mail, mis- cellaneous cargo and a PT Boat as deck cargo, the CHAN- DLER sailed in convoy to the Azores, then Gibraltar with a British Aircraft Carrier as escorts. One of the carrier's planes sunk a German submarine crossing the Atlantic. The CHANDLER then joined another convoy en route to Bone, Algeria. A British submarine served as one of the ship's escorts through the Mediterranean. Monroe returned to Charleston, South Carolina, and was transferred to the USS WOODWORTH, DD460 and saw action around Formosa and Okinawa as pointer on the 5-inch 38. His ship was credited with shooting down four Japanese planes during that time. Monroe was discharged January 24, 1946. He has four children and is an insurance agent. He and his wife Delores, reside at 1323 Rosewood Avenue, Wenatchee, Washington 98801. ROBERT JAMES CHEETHAM

Robert James Cheetham was born in Springfield, Mas- sachusetts, June 20, 1927. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy August 28, 1944, and went to boot camp in Sampson, New York. He then attended gunnery school in Shelton, Virginia. Following gunnery school, he went to New Orle- ans, Louisiana, Armed Guard Center, and went on to Savannah, Georgia, for assignment on the SS EDWARD J. BERWIN, a ship used to carry ammunition. As a S 1/c he was assigned to 3-inch 50 as a pointer. He made two North Atlantic crossings. The first crossing was to Hull, England. The second crossing was to Ghent, Bel- gium. He was in Ghent, Belgium on VE Day. He returned to the United States in June 1945 and was discharged from the Fargo Building July 15, 1946. Robert returned to Springfield, Massachusetts, to live. He later became a detective with the Springfield, Massa- chusetts, Police Department until his retirement May 1, 1976. He is married and has a son and daughter. He resides at 71 Linnell Street, Springfield, Massachusetts 01104. WILLIAM JOHN CHESEBRO

William John Chesebro was born July 20, 1924, in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, and enlisted in the U.S. Navy May 17, 1943. After seven weeks of boot camp, William was sent to gunnery school at Gulfport, Mississippi. Ships he served on during the war were the ANTOINE SAUGRAIN and the MS TURKS HEAD. On one trip abroad, the SAUGRAIN was torpedoed by Japanese aircraft while in Leyte Gulf May 11, 1944. The ship was taken in tow, but was again torpedoed the next day. The SAUGRAIN sank near Surigas Strait. The crew and Armed Guard aboard all survived. William says his most memorable experience was when he went out for ice cream one night while in San Francisco in either 1946 or 1947 and ran into Jim Hubert, one of the soldiers being transported to the Philippines on the SAU- GRAIN when it got torpedoed. William received medals for the Asiatic, Pacific and American area campaigns and the World War II Victory Medal. After discharge February 15, 1946, he worked for Chal- lenge Dairy in San Francisco for 24 years. He also has been a bus driver for many years and now drives a small school bus in Sonoma, California, four hours a day. He has had two wonderful wives: His first wife died of cancer in 1984 and he is now married to Lillian. They live at 13 Fort Ross Way, Sonoma, California, 95476. EDWARD T. CHILSON

Edward T. Chilson was born April 28, 1925, in Los Angeles, California. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy January 16, 1943, and attended boot camp at Coeur d'Alene, Ida- ho. He then went on to gunnery school in San Diego, Cali- fornia. Ships he served on during the war included the SS CHRISTY MATTHEWSON, a Liberty ship; the SS EDWARD E. HALE, a Liberty ship; and the SS CAPE ROMAIN, a C-1. Tours included India and the South Pacific and stops in the central and north Pacific Islands delivering supplies. Edward was discharged February 3, 1946. He spent 37 years with the Los Angeles City Fire Department, then served as a flight instructor for helicopters and airplanes and as a civil air patrol check pilot. He and his wife, Geraldine, have two daughters, Alixis and Keethly Chilson. Edward now lives at 4174 Hampstead Road, Flin- tridge, California. STEVE CISKIEWICZ

Steve Ciskiewicz, GM 2/C, was born October 9, 1918, to Valentine and Anna Ciskiewicz. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy March 6, 1942, and had boot training at Great Lakes, Illinois. He then went to anti-aircraft gunnery school at Lido Beach, Long Island, New York. He was next sent to the Armed Guard Center, Brooklyn, New York, where he was assigned to the Liberty ship SS EXFORD, sailing for Iceland. On June 27, 1942, the SS EXFORD joined in the would-be ill-fated convoy PQ 17, going to Murmansk, Russia. On June 29, 1942, the convoy crossed the Arctic Circle in heavy fog and large ice floes. Visibility from the bow was less than 50 yards. Soon the SS EXFORD was engulfed in fog and collided with a big ice floe, estimated by the captain to be 100 feet wide. Her bow was ripped open and she was in danger of sinking. The EXFORD's captain, Ulrich, received permis- sion to return to Iceland. Two other ships in the convoy, RICHARD BLAND and the tanker GRAY RANGI also had to return to Iceland because of damage. Steve was also in convoy PQ 18. After a short leave, was assigned to the SS JOAQUIN MILLER and made another trip to Russia. He returned to England where he met his brother, Valentine Ciskiewicz. Steve's younger brother Leo was also in England close by, but this was not known until after the war. Steve was present at the Omaha Beach invasion in Nor- mandy, France, and then returned to the States. He was awarded five ribbons and three Bronze Stars. He also was assigned to LCT (R) 368; the AATB BIZERTIE; Navy mine war school; ATB Fort Pierce, Flor- ida; and RD, Boston, Massachusetts. After his discharge April 6, 1946, he was employed by Great Lakes Carbon Co., in Niagara Falls, New York, and worked there for 30 years before retiring as a foreman. He was married to the former Pauline Beczkowski on June 6, 1964. Steve loved to go hunting and fishing. He lived at 3012 Monroe Avenue, Niagara Falls, New York 14303 Note: The above biography was submitted in mem- oriam to Steve Ciskiewicz, GM 2/C, by his brother Armed Guardsman Leo Ciskiewicz, 3056 Monroe Ave- nue, Niagara Falls, New York 14303. EDWARD LAMAR CLARKE

Edward Lamar Clarke was born February 1, 1926, in Kansas City, Missouri. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy Feb- ruary 12, 1944. In August 1944, he attended gunnery school at Shelton, Virginia. He was then assigned to the SS MOBIL GAS, but the ship had to be dry docked after it collided with another ship in the Caribbean. He was then assigned to the SS PATRICK C. BOYLE. In late December 1944, the BOYLE sailed to Antwerp, Belgium. It was the first fully loaded ammunition ship to enter Antwerp. The Scheldt River approach to Antwerp was continually being swept as the Germans were mining it daily with aircraft and frogmen. A mine sweeper coming down river detonated a mine 50 yards astern of the BOYLE after it had luckily passed over the mine. V1, "Buzz" bombs, and V2 rocket bombs, were hitting the port around the clock. German aircraft, usually jets, attacked the port every day and sleep was impossible except when total exhaustion set in. During one eight-hour period, approximately 50 V1 and V2 bombs were logged, hitting the port. Several hit within 200 yards of the BOYLE. The closest V2 hit 50 yards away. It blew a hole 30 feet in diameter and 30 feet deep in the ground. In the daytime, vapor trails of V2 rockets would be seen when launched from Holland (60 miles to the north), and 10 seconds later, there would be a 1,000 pound bomb explosion in Antwerp. At night, the bombs' fiery trails reminded Ed ufa big fourth of July cele- bration, until they arrived 10 seconds later in Antwerp. One V2 bomb hit a theater, killing 567 people and injur- ing 291 others, mostly soldiers. Because the BOYLE was carrying a large load ofammu- nition, it was moved often to prevent the many spies in the area from getting a report on its location to the Germans. The SS ALCOA BANNER was hit by a bomb, dropped from a ME262 jet, at a berth from which the BOYLE had just been moved. Gunners on the BOYLE got several mag- azines of 20 mms into the plane, but it flew off somehow. It must have been that German's, and the BOYLE's, lucky day. Finally, the BOYLE was unloaded and returned to New York uneventfully. In March 1945, Ed was assigned to the SS DEBORAH GANNETT and went back to Antwerp, where V-bomb attacks had subsided. Sixty-three percent of the buildings in Antwerp had been destroyed. After VE Day, Ed was sent to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and assigned to the USS KENNEBAGO, AO81, refuel- ing the fleets in China and Japan. He was honorably dis- charged June 6, 1946. Later he served in the Air Force for three years. He is now retired. He has three children and six grandchildren. He lives at 400 N. Fretz, #19, Edmond, Oklahoma 73034. LLOYD MANNING CLEMENS

Lloyd Manning Clemens was born to Samuel and Ida Clemens August 12, 1919, in Charlestown Township, Pennsylvania. He volunteered and was accepted at LB # 1, Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, and enlisted at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, as an apprentice seaman USNR SV-6 July 7, 1944. His recruit training was taken at the U.S. Naval Train- ing Center, Bainbridge, Maryland, Co. 4421. After gradu- ating as S 2/C, he was transferred to Armed Guard School, Shelton, Virginia, gun crew #3438, and was promoted to S 1/C and transferred to Armed Guard Center, Brooklyn, New York. In November 1944, he went on detached duty as Armed Guard on board the SS CALVIN COOLIDGE and was assigned as a 20 mm gunner, serving in the Amer- ican, European-Middle Eastern and African theaters. After victory in Europe, he was transferred to Shoemak- er, California. Then he was transferred to the Salvage and Fire Fighting Unit, Philippine Sea Frontier, Manila, Phil- ippine Islands. He was aboard the USS SARATOGA to Hawaii, the Canadian hospital ship LETITIA to Cavite, and later was sent on to Manila. After his tour of duty, Lloyd was transferred to New York aboard the SS AMERICA to go to the nearest separa- tion center. He was discharged February 10, 1946, at Sampson Separation Center, New York. He is authorized for World War II Victory, American Campaign, Europe- an-Middle Eastern-African Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, and the Philippine Liberation medals. He married Virginia M. Copley August 2, 1945, while on leave between the European and Pacific theaters. They had two children, Barbara and Steven. Before retiring August 1,1981, he was employed for 30 years at Kennedy Valve Manufacturing Company in Elmi- ra, New York. THOMAS PATRICK CLEMENT

Thomas Patrick "Pat" Clement was born to Clark and Cora Clement July 9, 1924, in Stigler, Oklahoma. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy March 11, 1943, trained at the U.S. Naval Training Station, Bainbridge, Maryland, and in Little Creek, Virginia. He was then sent to the Armed Guard Center, Brooklyn, New York. He was first assigned to the gun crew of the SS PRESI- DENT BUCHANAN and made two round-trips to England. He was then assigned to the SS WALTER CAMP and began a trip through the Mediterranean, Suez Canal and Red Sea, into the Indian Ocean. The WALTER CAMP was torpedoed and sunk January 26, 1944, rough- ly 300 miles west of Columbo, Ceylon. The crew aban- doned ship into lifeboats and liferafts without loss of life, including the mascot dog. Five days later, the British cruis- er HMS DANEE picked them up and took them to the American Air Base in Aden, Arabia. From there, the Brit- ish transport HMS STRATHARD took them to Suez and they were motored across the Isthmus to Port Said, Egypt, and quartered with a British DEMS group. After three weeks in Port Said, Pat was assigned to the SS FREDERICK H. NEWELL, returned to New York and given 25-day survivor's leave. He was then assigned to the SS EDWARD L. GRANT for one trip to England. His next assignment was to the SS WASHITA. During his year-plus duty on the WASHITA, he made trips to locations in the Caribbean, Atlantic, Mediterranean, Indi- an Ocean and Pacific. While in the Pacific, he was trans- ferred to the SS RICHARD MANSFIELD and made trips between Ulithi and Okinawa. He was on the MANS- FIELD during the Okinawa typhoon of October 1945. He returned to the States on the MANSFIELD, docked in Seattle, Washington, and was discharged February 13, 1946. Pat married Mary Jean Watson of Fort Smith, Arkan- sas, December 22, 1946. They have a daughter, Tana Jean, and a son, Thomas Patrick II. Prior to his retirement August 30, 1987, he was employed by AMAX Zinc Company in Blackwell, Okla- homa, and Sauget, Illinois. His address is P.O. Box 246, Stigler, Oklahoma 74462. GROVER C. CLEVENGER

Grover C. Clevenger was born October 7, 1919, in Oklahoma and in 1937 moved to Hargill, Texas. He was working for Columbia Steel when he was drafted into the U.S. Navy in December 1943 and sent to boot camp and gunnery school in San Diego, California. He then shipped out of Treasure Island, California, tak- ing two trips on the ALCOA and one trip each on the SS USSR VICTORY, SS JOHN R. MCQUIGG and SS JOHN PAUL JONES. Grover was involved in the Pealu Battle and received a bronze star. He also received medals for the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign and World War II Victory. His most memorable experience was watching a torpe- do pass over a tanker midships in convoy going into the Bristol Channel in 1944. Grover was discharged in November 1945. He is is now retired after 20 years as an over-the-road Teamsters truck driver. In addition to truck driving, Grover drilled on oil fields for seven years for Dillard & Walter Mire Drilling Contractors. He now lives at Route 4, Box 57-D, Heflin, Alabama 36264. HERMAN COBB Herman Cobb, a member of the Armed Forces ofthe United States from June 19, 1944, until May 24, 1946, was born near Franklin in Southampton County, Virginia. During the first years of World War ii, he was exempt- ed from military service due to his occupation of farming. But on June 19, 1944, he was drafted into service,and became part of the United States Navy. After 11 weeks training at Bainbridge, Maryland, he was sent to gunnery school at the Armed Guard Center at Little Creek, Norfolk, Virginia. In November 1944, he was assigned to the USS VIC- TOR HERBERT, a Merchant ship, as a gunner with a rat- ing of Seaman 3/C. His first trip fom the States the winter of 1944-1945 was to Iran to carry a load of supplies to the Russians consisting of trucks and fbod and other items. His second trip across the Atlantic took him to Leghorne, Italy, with a shipment of trains. The war with Germany ended while he was in Italy. After returning to the States, Herman was sent across country by troop train to San Diego, California. There he was assigned to a minesweeper in the fall of 1945,and swept for mines in the South Pacific, mostly around the Palace Islands. In May 1946, he was honorably discharged from the Navy and ended his tour of duty with a rating of GM 3/C. Herman returned home to Franklin and resumed farm- ing, which has continued to be his source of livelihood. He has been married for 42 years to the former Marjorie Blythe, and they are the parents of three children and grandparents of six. He lives at Route 2, Box 92C, Franklin, Virginia. J.R. COFFEY

J. R. Coffey was born June 10, 1924 in Plainview Texas. His parents Homer and Beulah Coffey moved to western Oklahoma where he grew up on a farm and attended school at Sweetwater Oklahoma. He enlisted in the U. S. Navy August 5, 1943. He went to boot camp at San Diego, California. After completing boot camp he was assigned to gunnery school at the San Diego Destroyer Base. After gunnery school he was assigned to the Armed Guard and was sent to the Armed Guard Center at Treasure Island, California. On October 28, 1943 he was sent to Seattle, Washington. A month later he was sent to Portland, Oregon. On December 3, 1943 he was assigned to the SS Frank B Linderman as a S1C gunner. It was a new Liberty. ship that had just been launched. The gun crew hauled all the ammunition and put it in the magazine, cleaned all the guns and made ready to go to sea. The ship sailed down the Colombia River to the ocean and on a shake down cruse to San Francisco, California. While there the ship was loaded with cargo and sailed in convoy to somewhere southwest of Hawaii. From there the ship made its way alone and arrived in Milne Bay New Guinea on January 12, 1944. It sailed from port to port among the islands and returned to the U. S. for another load. It arrived March 17, 1944 and departed March 23, 1944. It returned to New Guinea, Good Enough Island and several other islands. A field kitchen was placed on deck and the ship was loaded with army troops and sailed to Hollandia, New Guinea where they were taken ashore by LCM's to fight the Japanese. The ship returned to San Francisco in September 1944. J. R. was detached from the ship and went home on a 15 day leave. When he returned to Treasure Island he was sent to San Pedro California and assigned to the SS ESSO Montpelier on October 16, 1944. It sailed for Hawaii with a load of fuel for submarines. After pumping the fuel off at the submarine Base in Pearl Harbor it returned to the U. S. It made two more round trips to Hawaii. After returning to San Pedro it was reloaded and sailed to Guadalcanal. While there an ammunition ship exploded killing all aboard. It was a terrific blast. It was rumored that a Japanese submarine torpedoed it. The Montpelier returned to the U. S. in February 1945. It was loaded with fuel and sailed to Ulithi. While there a kamikaze plane dove into an aircraft carrier anchored in the bay. It caused a lot of damage and killed or wounded some sailors but did not sink the ship. The gun crew of the Montpelier were at their gun stations but were not in range to fire. The Montpelier left Ulithi and sailed to the Panama Canal and continued through the canal on May 20, 1945. It continued on to Cartagena, Columbia, South America. He was among the two thirds of the Armed Guard crew that received shore liberty, while there. The ship was loaded with crude oil and sailed to New York arriving June 1, 1945. It was emptied and placed in dry dock. SIC J. R. Coffey along with the rest of the Armed Guard crew were detached from the ship and assigned to the Brooklyn Armed Guard Center. He was given a 26 day delay in route and went home, then to the Armed Guard Center at Treasure Island. He was assigned to the Naval Ammunition Depot, Mare Island, California. He was a squad leader of twelve seamen. They segregated and stored ammunition. While there he and his squad went to sea on an LST and dumped outdated and odd lots of ammunition, from the depot, into the sea. The voyage lasted about a week. He was discharged from the Navy at the U. S. Navel Personnel Separation Center at Shoemaker California on March 15, 1946. J. R. married Ellen Holt from Utah on February 14, 1946. After he was discharged they traveled to Utah for a visit with her parents then went on to Oklahoma. He attended the University of Oklahoma and received a degree in Industrial Education in 1950. He taught school in Ripley, Oklahoma at the Ripley High School for one year. In 1951 he was hired by the U. S. Air Force as an Instructor in the Aircraft Mechanics Course at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. He worked as an Instructor, an Equipment Specialist, and a Training Specialist for 32 years. As a Training Specialist some of his duties required him to travel to Air Force bases all over the world. He visited some of the places where he had previously been when he was in the Navy Armed Guard. He retired from Civil Service March 2, 1984 and is living a life of leisure with his wife in Burkburnett, Texas. They celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary on February 14, 2000. They have two daughters, one granddaughter and one grandson. JOSEPH T. COLGAN, JR.

Joseph T. Colgan, Jr., joined the U.S. Navy in June 1944 in Jersey City, New Jersey. He took boot camp train- ing at Sampson Naval Base in New York State. He com- pleted Armed Guard training at Shell Beach, and Gulf- port, Mississippi, then was assigned to the Armed Guard Center at Algiers, Louisiana. He traveled from the states on an LST to Panama where he picked up the tanker MS TEXAS SUN at Coco Solo. He sailed from Panama to Saipan, where he transferred oil to Navy tankers. The ship had an explosion in its engine room at Saipan and had to go to Pearl Harbor for repairs. From Pearl Har- bor, Joseph sailed back through the Panama Canal to Car- tagena, Columbia, and picked up a load of oil and sailed back to Bayonne, New Jersey. Joseph received leave and then returned tn the Armed Guard Center at Algiers, Louisiana, where he was assigned to the Liberty Ship WILLIAM E. BORAH. He sailed from New Orleans and finally ended up in the Philippines, stopping in Luzon, Manila and Tacloban. The crew unloaded its cargo of ammunition in Tacloban onto Navy ships preparing for the invasion of Japan. He then was transferred to the Liberty Ship WALTER WILLIAMS in the Philippines and returned faulty ammu- nition to the Navy depot in Pittsburg, California for inspection. The war ended and the WALTER WILLIAMS was taken to the Oakland shipyards where her guns were removed. Joseph's next tour of duty was on the APD 63 USS LLOYD sailing from New York to Green Springs, Florida, where she was decommissioned. After discharge, Joseph graduated from Seton Hall Col- lege in South Orange, New Jersey. He joined the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company and resigned in 1959 as advertising and public relations manager for the Philadel- phia Unit. He spent the next 28 years in the brewing industry. He retired January l, 1988, as division director of sales for the northeast division of the G. Heileman Brewing Co. He now resides in Lutherville, Maryland, with his wife, Alice, of 37 years. They have four children, two grandchil- dren. Joseph works two days a week as a volunteer restor- ing the Liberty Ship JOHN BROWN. His current address is 308 Felton Road, Lutherville, Maryland 21093. WILLIAM J. COLLETT

William J. "Bill" Collett was born in Waltham, Massa- chusetts, September 26, 1925. One of seven children born to William M. and Eva E. (Connolly) Collett, he attended schools in Waltham, Massachusetts. On May 1, 1943, at the age of 17 and a half, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy in Boston, Massachusetts. While at boot camp in Newport, Rhode Island, Co. 687, he volunteered for the Armed Guard. He was sent to Brooklyn Armed Guard Center, then assigned to a Liberty Ship, the SS SMITH THOMPSON, on which he made three trips to the Mediterranean with stops at North Africa, Sicily and Italy. On one trip, the THOMPSON's convoy came under attack off North Africa by a mixed force of dive bombers and torpedo planes. The THOMPSON gun crew shot down a bomber which sank 200 feet off the starboard beam. After returning to the States, Bill was detached from the THOMPSON and went on a l 5-day leave. After leave, Bill was assigned to his second ship, a Liberty, the EDWARD B. HAINES, taking him three times across the North Atlantic. His first trip to Utah Beach was on or about June 28, 1944. The second time out, the HAINES sailed for LeHavre, France, and the third trip took Bill to Cherbourg. Bill was then sent to Shelton, Virginia, for refresher gun- nery training, shipped cross-country to Treasure Island, then up to Seattle Receiving Station. He was in Seattle for VJ Day. He was discharged from Sun Valley, Idaho, Octo- ber 25, 1945. In 1948, Bill graduated from Bishop-Lee School of Theatre, Boston, Massachusetts. During the Korean War, Bill served four years as a Staff Sgt. in a mobile training wing at Chanute Air Force Base, Illinois. He retired in 1985 from the City of Waltham, Massachusetts, after 30 years service and lives at 11 Fiske Street, Waltham, Massa- chusetts 02154. HAROLD COOK

Harold Cook was born November 21, 1921, in New- berry, South Carolina. He graduated from Prosperity High School in 1939 and enlisted in the U.S. Navy October 9, 1942. He was sent to Norfolk, Virginia, for three weeks basic training, and after eight weeks was sent to Newport News Receiving Barracks. In January 1943, he was transferred to the Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York, and assigned to the SS GULF PRINCE in New York, en route to Halifax, Nova Scotia, then Belfast Northern Ireland. He returned to New York in April 1943. The PRINCE was next loaded with aviation fuel and a deck cargo of P38 fighter planes. The PRINCE arrived in Algiers, North Africa May 1943. After unloading, it shuttled aviation gas to Phillipsville, and Bone, North Africa. On July 10, 1943, the SS GULF PRINCE was torpe- doed off the coast of Boogie, North Africa, by German submarine 371. Most of the survivors were picked up by the British tanker EMPIRE COMMERCE. Harold's next assignment was on the USS VULCANE and the USS THOMAS STONE. In September 1943, he was assigned to the USS SUSAN B. ANTHONY and returned to New York. He was given 24 days survival leave and two weeks rest camp in New York. In November 1943, he was transferred from the Navy Armed Guard to Londonderry, Northern Ireland, for shore duty, and in July 1944, he was transferred to the USS LEYDEN at Plymouth, England. The LEYDEN sailed to New Port, Wales, Cherbourg, France, and Weymouth, England. After the surrender of Germany, the ship was decommissioned and in July 1945, the crew was trans- ferred to Bremerhaven, Germany, and was assigned to the USS EUROPA APAI77, a luxury liner which was the largest prize of war from Germany. They sailed to South- ampton, England, and loaded Air Force personnel. The cruiser USS PHILADELPHIA escorted the liner to pier 88 in New York City. The trip took four and a half days. Harold was discharged December 5, 1945, in Charles- ton, South Carolina. He married Peggy Burton January 5, 1946. They have two children, Thomas Allen and Julia Ruth and three grandchildren. They still live on their 400 acre farm. Harold and his brother are in partnership pro- ducing eggs and beef cattle. Harold is semi-retired from farming and retired lrom the Select Naval Reserve in 1968. His last ship was the USS SOLEY. His address is Route 3, Box 255, Prosperity, South Carolina 29127. WILLIAM G CRAVEN

William G Craven served aboard the M/S Shooting Star August 42 to December 42, the SS Troubador from December 42 to June 43, the SS Dean Emery from July 43 to January 44, the SS John Schofield February 44 to January 45 and the SS Flying Eagle from February 45 to November 45. He was a good sailor, a good person and a good family man. If you knew him you may contact his Brother Paul by emailing to paul@digitrends.com ROBERT A. CROCKER

Robert A. "Bob" Crocker was born in Fitchburg, Mas- sachusetts, and attended school and grew up in Lawrence, Massachusetts. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy January 2, 1943, and received his training at Newport, Rhode lsland. He volunteered for the Armed Guard and was assigned to his first ship April 7, 1943, the SS DELSUD, a 1918 Hog Islander. While on the DELSUD, Bob made three trips to Europe and Africa, stopping at ports in Oran, Arzew, Casablanca, Dakar, Africa, England, Ireland, and Trinidad. On one tour, the ship crossed the South Atlantic alone as a decoy to flush out German raiders. Bob's next ship was the Liberty ship SS A.J. CERMAK. Bob was now a GM 3/C assigned to the 20 mms. The CERMAK made three trips to Africa and Europe, includ- ing stops in England, Ireland, Scotland, Africa, Sardinia. and the Omaha beachhead in France. During the tour, the ship encountered many submarine attacks, and narrowly escaped "Buzz" bombs in the Thames River estuary and German JU 88 bomber attacks off Africa, befbre colliding with a DE. On one voyage, the ship carried 500 German prisoners from Africa to New York. Bob's next assignment was the Liberty ship SS JERE- MIAH O'BRIEN. The ship left Hoboken, New Jersey, October 19, 1944, for Panama then on to Antofagasta, Chile, and Lima, Peru. They then proceeded on a 45-day trip alone to the South Pacific with a cargo of 10,000 tons of bombs for the Jolly Rogers Base in the Philippines. The year-long trip included stops at Calcutta, India, Shanghai China, Darwin, Australia, the Philippines, Manila, Cavite. Luzon, Lingayen Gulf, Mindanao, Leyte, Subic Bay, Min- doro and New Guinea. Bob's most memorable experience was meeting his brother, George, who was stationed on the cruiser USS DENVER as a radioman, at Mindoro and later at Subic Bay. Bob was recognized for participation in the American Theater, European-African-Middle Eastern Theaater (Bronze Stars) and Asiatic-Pacific Theater. He received the Good Conduct, Philippine Liberation and World War II Victory medals. He was honorably discharged January 18, 1946, at Boston, Massachusetts. His current address is 332 Blevins Drive, Manchester, New Hampshire 03104, where he lives with his wife, Jan- ice. CHARLES R. CRONK

Charles R. Cronk was inducted into the U.S. Naval Reserve at St. Louis, Missouri, October 9, 1941. Following boot camp at Great Lakes, Illinois, he was assigned guard duty there until June 1942. He was then sent to Little Creek, Virginia, for a three-week gunnery school anti then assigned to the Liberty Ship USS OLIVER ELLSWORTH July 16, 1942. He served aboard the OLIVER ELLSWORTH until it was torpedoed and sunk September 13, 1942. After approximately one hour in the ocean, he was rescued and taken aboard a British Destroyer to Scapa Flow, Scotland. Charles returned to the States and after medical atten- tion for the removal of front teeth damaged at the time his ship was torpedoed, he was given survivor's leave. He was then assigned to the Sun Oil Company tanker SOUTHERN SUN December 2, 1942. He served aboard the tanker until June 1943, at which time he was sent to gunnery school at Camp Shelton, Virginia. Upon comple- tion of schooling, he was given duty as a gunnery instructor at Camp Shelton and was there for about nine months. From Camp Shelton, he was assigned to D.E. 223, Destroyer Escort, USS SPANGENBERG, where he served until the war ended. He was separated from the Navy at Lido Beach, New York, September 9, 1945, with the rank of gunners mate, l/c. He married Lona Julian at Oran, Missouri, November 28, 1942. They have a son, Charles R. Jr. and three grand- children, Michael, Christopher and Lori Michelle. He retired from Federal Civil Service at Blytheville Air Force Base and now resides with his wife at Blytheville, Arkan- sas. RAY W. CROPP

Ray W. Cropp enlisted in the U.S. Navy in June 1944 and attended boot camp at Great Lakes, Illinois. He attended Armed Guard training school at Gulfport, Mis- sissippi, then was posted to the Armed Guard Center in Brooklyn, New York. His first ship assignment was aboard the SS THEO- DORE FOSTER, sailing to Manchester, England. The ship returned to the U.S. making port in Manchester, then sailed to LeHavre, France, and returned again to the U.S. Ray was then reassigned to the SS DANKEL H. HALL, sailing to Antwerp, Belgium. On one of his trips aboard the HALL, a stop was made in London, England. Upon returning to the States, Ray was reassigned, ending his Armed Guard duty. In June 1945, he was sent to the west coast and on to Sasebo, Japan, and Shanghai, China, where he served as a storekeeper aboard the USS ST. GEORGE, AVl6, and the USS CURTISS, AV4. On one of the trips, a two-star admiral was aboard. Ray's last ship was the USS NORTON SOUND AV 11, which returned him to the States where he was dis- charged in June 1946 at Norman, Oklahoma. His twin brother, Roy K. Cropp of Lawrence, Kansas, also was a member of the Armed Guard, but they were not allowed to serve together. Ray is a retired plumbing and pipefitter tradesman. His current address is 1726 Meadow Lane, Topeka, Kansas 66604. JOHN JOSEPH CURRAN

John Joseph "Jack" Curran was born in Washington, D.C., June 23, 1921. He was raised during the depression years in the southeast section of the city and graduated from Eastern High School June 1939. Upon graduation he went to work for local construction companies as a time- keeper/laborer. When war was declared December 8, 1941, he enlisted on the 11th and was sent to Great Lakes Naval Center December 30, 1941. Upon arrival at the base, snow was piled four feet high at the guard gate entrance. During his entire 30 days of boot training, the ground was never com- pletely visible. On February 1, 1942, in a driving blizzard, Jack was transferred to the San Diego Destroyer base and arrived on February 4. Jack volunteered for the Armed Guard and was accepted for signal school February 12 at Treasure Island Armed Guard Center, California. His first ship assignment was the SS MAUNALEI March 15, 1942, to April 28, 1942. The ship was docked in San Francisco, preparing for a March 21 departure for the Hawaiian Islands. The MAUNALEI was a 30-year-old "rust bucket" used to carry sugar pulp from the islands to the Alameda, California, refineries. The Armed Guard crew consisted of one officer, two signalmen, and five sea- men gunners. The armament consisted of two water- cooled 50 caliber machine guns and one 4-inch .50 deck gun. The 50 calibers never did fire and the 4-inch. 50 fired once and collapsed the entire poop deck structure back- ward. The voyage was completed with the gun pointing straight up to the stars. The entire Armed Guard crew was relieved in San Francisco April 28, 1942. His second ship assignment was the SS MARK TWAIN from May 31, 1942, to March 1, 1943. A Liber- ty ship built in Portland, Oregon, in 111 days, this was her maiden voyage. The Armed Guard crew consisted of one officer, two signalmen/strikers, a radio man, one GM 3/C and 12 seamen gunners. The ship sailed May 31 and arrived in New York City August 11, where it was refitted for the last Murmansk run of 1942. On August 22, the ship was in a collision in a fog bank offthe coast of Halifax, Nova Scotia, dry docked for repairs, which made it too late for the Murmansk convoy. On November 8, 1942, the MARK TWAIN arrived at Cape Fegalo, Algiers, North Africa, for the invasion. Dur- ing the return North Atlantic voyage to the States, the con- voy was under constant attack by submarine Wolf Packs (Convoy-ON-166) February 20 through 25. It became necessary to scatter the remaining vessels, and each captain proceeded on his own to various ports of destination. The MARK TWAIN arrived alone in New York March 1, 1943. Jack's third ship was the SS MARIPOSA, a troop trans- port from April 14, 1943, to February 28, 1944. The Armed Guard crew consisted of three officers, four signal- men, six radio operators, and a gun crew of 44 members. Some of the interesting ports of call were Casablanca, North Africa; Liverpool, England; Reykjavik, Iceland; Gourock, Scotland; Rio De Janiero, Brazil; Bombay, India; Sydney, Australia; and Wellington, New Zealand, A tour of duty aboard the MARIPOSA was an Armed Guard sailor's dream, Jack says. His fourth ship was the SS GEORGE DEWEY, a Lib- erty, from March 22, 1944, to April 14, 1945. The ship was built in 14 days. The Armed Guard crew consisted of one officer, two signalmen, a radio man, and 24 gunners. The ship sailed from New York with a cargo for Liverpool, England. After discharging, she was sent to Manchester, England, to be refitted for the D Day invasion. The GEORGE DEWEY arrived at the Omaha Beach Head June 11, D Day q- 5, and from that date until March 27, 1945, she made 24 more trips from Southampton, England, to various beach heads and ports in France. The ship returned to New York on April 14, 1945. This was to be Jack's last Armed Guard voyage. While on leave, he was married to his childhood sweet- heart, Margaret L. Johnson, and spent his honeymoon in New York while waiting for reassignment. In July 1945, 500 signalmen and radio operators were transferred from the Armed Guard to the Fleet Replace- ment Center (TADCEN) south of San Diego for various assignments within the fleet. After much processing and screening, some who were lucky enough to qualify were assigned shore duty. Jack drew permanent shore patrol for NOB, Norfolk, Virginia. In transit to Norfolk, the war ended and Jack was honorably discharged August 28, 1945. He returned to the Washington, D.C. area, where he found employment with the National Capital Parks, National Park Service September 10, 1945. After a career of over 30 years with the Park Service, he retired in January 1976. Jack and Margaret had no children. They moved to Florida the same year he retired and now live at 20 Whis- pering Sands Drive, Apartment 504, Sarasota, Florida 34242.

Click to return to index page

Click to return to main page